Thursday, October 8, 2015

For the Love of Boise



So, as some of you may know, I was given an opportunity to attend an Idaho Writer's Conference a couple weekends ago, and one of the classes I took was on Effective Composition.(I will be sharing a blog post about this soon!) Literally forty-minutes of the class was a free write where we wrote about something with elements from the class, and applied it in the writing. One prompt, so to speak, was of a place. Now, I could have written about anything really, as I have several places that have made an impact upon my life and bring back a lot of nostalgia, like all the time, or anytime I see pictures. I have already written something on this particular place/experience, but knew that I could improve, so this is what I came up with during the class that I found particularly inspiring. 

The feeling of busy-ness and speed surrounded me at every curve. The traffic whirled past me, and I had to wonder where in the world I was, and how in the world I had gotten there. This unfamiliar yet familiar piece of ground I had arrived on, felt so new and yet held so many amazing memories that I couldn’t help but remember and fantasize over for the future of returning to. Now I was finally back, ready to take on a whole new and exciting experience with nine other people I didn’t know.

The place was buzzing with activity, but yet, seemed so calm and peaceful on the inside, completely opposite from the activity happening on the streets around me. I take a deep breath of fresh air into my lungs and say, “Okay, let’s do this.” Six short weeks later, after my time here is done, I look around me at the intricate designs and details that I haven’t been able to fully look at until now. A smile crosses my face as I recount memory after memory that occurred here. I could barely hold back the tears. As I watch the last of my colleagues enter the elevator doors, I sigh with sadness. I make my way down the long staircase to the car waiting for me. I longingly gaze back towards the big cement building. Amazement surrounds me as I start to wonder, “Will I have the chance to be back in this beautiful town? Will I ever be able to associate with these wonderful people again? Will my heart still feel the same when the memories have faded and time has gone by? What will our reunion be like? When will I ever get a chance to reminisce and come back? What will others remember about the service I was able to render?

So many questions fumble around in my brain as I buckle my seatbelt and I begin driving away. I catch a single tear fall from my cheek, and brush it away. “I’ll be back someday,” I whisper silently into the void. “I won’t forget my time here. I most certainly can’t forget you…”

The laughter that echoed through the walls when Aaron did something funny, Hunter’s beautiful piano skills, the long debates between Jacob and Anna, the screams from the basement when Slender man jumped out from a computer screen, Kaitlyn’s sarcastic comments to clear the air, the smells of food always present in some secret room in the Capitol, Samantha’s protective goldfish face, Hannah’s artistic skills, Jordan’s smile, Allison’s blonde moments learning how to work a microwave. The many tours we had the opportunity of attending, the endless pager beeps of new tasks waiting to be completed, the magical secret entries only opened with special permission, the prohibited sound of candy wrappers opening on the Senate Floor during session. Senators busy at work, passing notes, security guards on high alert, the sound of the gavel hitting the Lieutenant Governor’s pulpit, and everything in between.

I look back on my time spent in Boise as a blessing, not a curse. Not just a full time job, but a rather a self-fulfilling period of my life where I found true joy. I still find myself thinking about the “Good Old Days”, wishing those opportunities could have extended into eternity. To this day I will always hold dear those memories, the tender experiences, and especially the people, in my heart forever.

Such an experience cannot simply be forgotten. Until next time, Boise. 



No comments:

Post a Comment