Tuesday, October 20, 2015

This Is What Dreams Are Made Of


Once upon a time, a girl had a dream. A dream that no one could really see before they got to know her, but once they watched her pen hit paper, they all knew exactly where she was headed and where her dreams would take her. She knew she had to take her passions and run with them, which is exactly what she did. The results are evident in her writing. Just ask her family, the people who inspired her the most.

 Okay, okay, so this sounds a lot like the post I wrote that was actually an essay for a Writer’s Scholarship earlier this year. What I didn’t update the blogging world on, was the fact that I ended up surprisingly winning the contest, and had the opportunity to attend the Idaho Writer’s League Conference, held in Burley with paid admission for a day. Boy was I ecstatic.
I don't even know if that's the right word, but I was so excited, nonetheless, and that's what you need to know.

The nerves hit when I walked into the Burley Inn Convention Center, and moments later heard my name announced to the general assembly of people who simultaneously began staring my direction. YIKES. So this was real life. I entered the room in which authors of all ages were assembled, and had to question if I was in the right room. The butterflies began forming in the pit of my stomach, but I graciously took my seat and tried to focus on what was going on all around me, which was hard I had to admit. I was really nervous. That’s all.

The rest of the day was filled with a keynote speaker, a delicious lunch, and great workshops that left me excited and ready to jump right back into the world of writing, and do even more than I had previously been able to do. There were awards, door prizes, and with the courteous asking of one gentleman in particular, I was asked to read my essay in front of everyone just after lunch. All I can say is thank goodness for 4-H and Ambassador's public speaking skills, for which without, I probably would have melted into non-existence. Luckily there was no fainting. It also felt good to be able to do some public speaking again, which I haven't had to do for a year or so, besides college presentations.
(If you haven't had a chance to read my essay yet, here's the link)! http://aspirationsoftheaverageaggie.blogspot.com/2015/06/writing-its-magical-thing_30.html
It was really cool to have some of the people from the conference approach me and tell me how well my essay was written, or how good of a job I did, and mainly give me encouragement to keep writing. Some even wanted to recruit me to the Writer’s League that day!  I felt really happy, and had so many great experiences from that day that are just amazing, I can’t begin to describe them all. But one I will include happened right after, when one woman motioned me over to her, and automatically began expressing her love for the 4-H Program, which is something I greatly acknowledged in my essay. I went away inspired, and full of love for these strangers I had just met literally less than 24 hours before. It is so amazing to me how people with one common goal can inspire one ordinary nineteen year old girl to become even more involved than she is, and to leave her heart full of joy, and hope, and her mind full of never ending dreams just waiting to come true. One day did all of that and more. It gave her more of a desire to better her community, to reach out to those around her, and to go forth with a strong conviction to accomplish her dreams. If every day of my life were like that, I’m almost positive I wouldn’t ever have any desire to give up on the things I am seeking for most, including my college degree or even my current career path.

I think we all have some of the Idaho Writer’s League in all of us, in different ways. We all have a desire, or hopefully all have a desire, to go out and do something more with our lives than we may currently be able to do. We all have dreams, and sometimes lack ideas or even resources of how to make them a reality. Such is life, it happens, and then we move on and try again. We have our own sounding boards to throw out ideas, to listen to each other, and to give feedback on how to improve. We just have to know how to find them.

You’re going to be beaten down. You’re going to be told that your dreams stink, or you may lack resources or even smarts of how to accomplish those big dreams inside of your head. It’s going to be a work in progress most days. It’s going to take some back tracking and re-evaluation. On a consistent basis. The fact is, if you really want to get there, you’ll get there. This life wasn’t meant to be a piece of cake. (I mean… that would be cool and all, but it’s just not going to be a piece of cake. And plus, cheesecake is better, and no one can deny it. Just saying. ) Keep on going. Keep trying. I have faith in you. You will eventually reach your destinations, and your biggest dreams will come true. Mine are just beginning to come true, but with determination, they are going to. I’ve tried, and I’ve failed, and I’ve dusted myself off. It may not have happened right away, but like I said nothing ever does.

What are you waiting for? Your greatest of dreams are waiting! Go Forth and Accomplish Much! You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment